Broken Inline Comment Forms with WordPress 3.1

Last Updated on Friday, 4 March 2011 11:12 Written by Theresa Friday, 4 March 2011 08:51

I discovered this week that with all blogs (including this one) set up with inline commenting using the Ajax WordPress 2.8 plugin, the comment form will return an error message “ERROR RECEIVED:” in red when someone tries to submit a comment.  This only happens with the current upgrade of WordPress, which is now at 3.1.  BUT, the comment does still go through and is received by the blog owner, although the person leaving the comment doesn’t know that it has gone through because of the error message.  I’ve been researching on the problem and haven’t found any documentation on it and the plugin developer has yet to respond to my message regarding the issue.

I’m currently trying to figure out an easy fix, but seeing as the plugin has cornered the market on the inline comments and comment forms functionalities, I have yet to find an alternative.  For now, my only suggestion is that you DON’T upgrade to WordPress 3.1 if you haven’t already, at least until the plugin developer comes back with a fix, which hopefully will be soon.  He announced nearly 9 months ago that an upgrade was imminent so I’m crossing my fingers and toes that it will be very soon.  Maybe my message to him about the plugin being broken will prompt him to release it sooner.

Again, inline comment forms (typically on the front page of blogs, not individual posts) are returning error messages with the current WordPress 3.1 upgrade.  Comments are still coming through though, but at least you know to inform your blog visitors that their comments are still being received.

11 Comments

1. Theresa   |  Friday, 04 March 2011 at 8:55 pm

Yup, it’s broken here too.

2. Michael   |  Wednesday, 23 March 2011 at 7:19 pm

If you do figure out an easy fix, please do email me. Too bad I didn’t come across your post until upgrading. On the bright side, I love your blog. Thanks for the informative posts!!

3. Theresa   |  Wednesday, 23 March 2011 at 7:26 pm

Hi Michael – I’m sorry too that you didn’t come across my post before upgrading. Fortunately, you can revert back to the previous version of WordPress, which is exactly what I did. Did you notice that the error didn’t show up when you commented here? If you’re comfortable doing the downgrade manually, that’s what I would recommend.

4. Yvonne   |  Tuesday, 29 March 2011 at 10:09 am

I’m having the same problem. Thank you for writing about this. How do you revert to the previous WordPress without losing all your current blog posts?

5. Theresa   |  Tuesday, 29 March 2011 at 4:04 pm

Your posts are stored in the database, so they are safe from any upgrades or downgrades. Just make sure and BACK UP your database first, using a plugin like WP-DBmanager. Just make sure you don’t delete any of your files in the wp-content folder when you downgrade. That’s where your theme files, plugins and uploaded images are stored.

6. Glitch Hop Forum   |  Tuesday, 26 April 2011 at 6:31 pm

Workaround:
    open:
    wp-comments-post.php
    go to bottom of file.
    delete the last line before ?> it should say “exit;”

7. Theresa   |  Tuesday, 26 April 2011 at 8:13 pm

@Glitch – thanks! But is there way to do it without hacking WordPress source files? My clients upgrade WordPress on their own usually and I don’t want them to have to come to me every time to edit the source code.

8. Glitch Hop Forum   |  Wednesday, 27 April 2011 at 1:57 pm

Theresa, i wish that i could give you a simple edit to AjaxedWp but i dug about in there for several hours and could not find a solution. I did however ask the programmer who made the plugin how much it would cost to get that fixed. if he does fix it for me, i will post that solution.

cheers,
    dewey

9. Glitch Hop Forum   |  Wednesday, 27 April 2011 at 2:00 pm

You might also want to keep your eyes peeled on this thread: http://anthologyoi.com/wordpress/trapping-wordpress-errors-with-output-buffering.html
    because a solution may be posted there:
    at some point.

Cheers,
    Dewey

10. Theresa   |  Wednesday, 27 April 2011 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for replying, Dewey! I had emailed the programmer a while ago as well and told him I’d pay him to fix it. Never heard back. :( I’ll check out that link; thanks!

11. glitch hop forum   |  Tuesday, 17 January 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hey KGT, long time no reply, but hopefully you figured this out eventually?

I just took another stab at it after a client of mine updated their wordpress and broke my core hack.

Not sure why deleting that line didn’t work for you, just did it again and fixed the problem with the latest version of wordpress.

Honestly there is definitely a better fix out there. I took a look into awp_trynodie() function on line 470 of inlinecommentform.php and also at lines 248 through 250:
    ob_start(“awp_trynodie”);
    require_once(AWP::find_path(‘wp-comments-post.php’).’wp-comments-post.php’);
    ob_end_clean();
    basically that is where the problem comes from. One solution would be to take the entire contents of that file wp-comments-post and past it inbetween those two output buffer calls, of course still removing the very last exit; line.

I tried this and it spit a bunch of errors at me and at that point i stopped caring and went back to my hacked core. There is defintiely a fix along those lines though, just too buzy to debug that shit right now.